Monday, August 18, 2014

Howdy from the Forest of the Lions


August 18, 2014
Monday

Howdy from Forest of the Lions!


Bit of Carpina history/trivia for you. The original name was Floresta dos Leões, or in other words FOREST OF THE LIONS which is WAY cooler than Carpina. Why they changed it I have no idea. MAYBE BECAUSE THERE ARE ACTUALLY NO LIONS HERE. But from now on I will be using the true name of my querida cidade [beloved city], Floresta dos Leões. Maybe. 

ANYways, this week we worked our tushies off talking with a ton of people, knocking on doors, contacting references, and trying to find new people to teach, also trying to mark our investigators for baptism. We managed to mark the baptism of Ronaldo, that guy who showed up at the end of church last week.

We taught Dominik's mom and sister this week, and it went super well. The mom has been wanting to get baptized in a church for a while but needs to get married or divorced, and both are difficult right now. She was really receptive though, and was all set to come to church with us when something happened last minute. Not sure what, but she wasn't able to come. but we'll keep trying.  Rose said something to me last week that made my day. She thanked me for not giving up on her. She thanked me for sticking with her with the other sisters through all of it. And that gave me a little boost to have a little more faith in my investigators. Sometimes that's all they need. Sometimes that's all people need, is someone who believes in them and cheers them on, even when they don't think they can do it, even when it appears that nothing will change. Elder Scott said something similar in his last General Conference talk. I've only read it in Portuguese so I don't know what the real quote is, but it's something like "the children of God are capable of accomplishing miracles when we put our trust in them." (Mom if you can find the real quote to put on the blog that would be cool :) 

Here is the quote from the talk:
“The children of Father in Heaven can do amazing things when they feel trusted.  Every child of God in mortality chose the Savior’s plan.  Trust that given the opportunity, they will do so again.”
Elder Richard G. Scott, April 2014 General Conference Talk, I Have Given You an Example

This week was a trial of our faith. I think this week was a planting week. We planted a lot of seeds. Hopefully in the coming weeks we can start to harvest the fruits. 

I love Sister Muñoz! I'll try to send a picture next week. She's from Argentina, but everyone always asks her if she's Japanese, or Chinese, or Korean (and others think they're all the same thing haha...). We both know the Lord put us together and are loving working together! She learns fast, and we are doing our very best  :)

Love you all! Hope you have a wonderful week! 

Love,  Sister Hicken :)

No comments:

Post a Comment