Monday, May 12, 2014

This Week Was Awesome! We Worked Like Crazy People!


May 12, 2014
Monday

Feliz Dia das Mães!!!!! I am so grateful for my mom and all the sacrifices she has made for me and for my family. I would not be here today if it weren't for her (literally, haha, as she gave birth to me, but also here on the mission). I am also grateful for my wonderful grandmas who raised strong families, and for all the wonderful mothers and leaders that have influenced my life, and been examples to me. I love you!

I'm trying to think of all the things that happened this week. My head is kind of scrambled today because we had transfers. Sister Rocha was transferred :( I love that woman and will miss her. I learned so much from her. She is incredible. My new companion is Sister Kohtz! For the first time I have an American companion, haha. She's from Missouri and has been on the mission for 10 months. She’s super awesome and we're excited to work together! Today was a long and crazy day, with transfer meeting and buses and waking super early, and all. But we arrived all safe and sound! Wednesday we get to go to the temple! Woohoo!!!!! 

Let's seee....this week was awesome, we worked like crazy people!!! Tuesday we had a family home evening with Vilma and Marília, Camila and Carlinhos and Tais. It was cool because Vilma is inactive, but was the one who came up with the idea. We invited a family of members, Selma and her kids, and went alllllll the way out to Vilma's house. But it was worth every step because when we got there, the family was all dressed up, and the kids had invited a bunch of friends, and Vilma had made a giant heart-shaped cake. Guys, this family is living on almost nothing, and they still shared with everyone. I was very touched to see how excited they were and how much love they had for us, and for their Heavenly Father. And these 4 kids came to church this week, 9 a.m. on the dot, even though Vilma didn't come. I admire them and love them soooo much. 

We met a kid this week named Erick. He's 17, and super elect! We passed by his house, and Sister Rocha stopped and said we should knock here. So we did, and got to know him, and taught him the first lesson, invited him to be baptized, and he accepted. The next visit, he asked us about the Book of Mormon, and we explained, and bore our testimonies, and marked some parts for him to read. When we came back, he had read and STUDIED the introduction and 3 Nephi 11. I've never had an investigator study the Book of Mormon like he did. Anything he didn't understand, he wrote in the back to ask us, or to look up on lds.org. We were amazed. He had about half a dozen questions for us, all really good. He came to church yesterday, and really liked it. He's marked for baptism for this Sunday, but we forgot that there's stake conference with Elder Costa of the Seventy, so we have to talk with him and the bishop to see if it's still okay, but we're praying that everything will work out! 

We saw other little miracles this week, but I’m running out of time, so I’ll share more another week. Roberto is doing great. He'll receive the priesthood soon. Rose, one of our investigators who is trying to quit smoking, is really struggling. But we have done some things to help her and remotivate her this week, and she's doing better. She wants so badly to be baptized. This is the only thing impeding her. If you could keep her in her prayers, that would mean a lot to her and me. 

Well I’m out of time, but I hope you all have a wonderful week! 

Love, Sister Hicken



Talking to Camille on Mother's Day.  Awesome Mother's Day Present!


Elder Gustavo and Elder Daniels, the assistants to the President, and my new companion Sister Kohtz.
 
Me and my new companion, Sister Kohtz!

No comments:

Post a Comment