Monday, April 7, 2014

I've been transferred! Ola from Carpina!


April 7, 2014
Monday

Ola from Carpina!!

Yep. I've been transferred! And Sister Fortes is going to train a new missionary! I'm so excited for her; I know she'll be fantastic. But I'll miss her! I learned SO MUCH from Sister Fortes, and I hope to be able to visit with her again after the mission. 

I am now in Carpina, a city about an hour and a half out of Recife. I'm in the interior again! It is less hot than Recife, thank goodness. My new companion is Sister Rocha!!! She is from São Paulo, has one year on the mission, and is a super hard worker. I am so excited to work with her :) The area and the people are fantastic from what she's told me, and the ward works really well with the missionaries. We have several people with potential for baptism this week. I'm so excited!!! OH also this transfer is only going to have 5 weeks instead of 6, not sure why. 

Anyhoodle, this last week in Gravatá, we worked like we never have before. Oh crap, Adele just came on the radio. NOOOOO! Musica do mundo!!!!! Nononononono! Gahhhh focus. Okay. Anyways, yeah we worked like crazy this week, hitting all of our daily goals, and looking for new people to teach, and getting Maria ready for baptism, and fasting for Andreia. That was the best part. Knowing that I did my absolute best this week. Because this week was pretty discouraging. Maria was progressing really well, but when we went to her house to walk with her to church, she wasn't home and didn't answer the phone, Andreia bailed on our lesson with a member....and so did the member. None of our pesquisadores were able to come to General Conference. And we're having difficulties with the area. We didn't know if I would be transferred, or if I would stay, or if both of us would go. It was a stressful week. BUT we worked our absolute hardest, and I know the Lord is watching over us. And His thoughts are not my thoughts and His ways are not my ways, and I know all of this has a purpose. And I find joy in this work when I'm doing my absolute best, even if it doesn't seem in the moment like it's making a difference. I know it is, and I know this gospel is true, and that's why it's hard sometimes, because it's true. 

Watching conference in Portuguese was really interesting. I was able to understand most of it. It was amazing. I love love love conference. I can't wait to read the talks in the Liahona. Every time I hear these inspired leaders speak, it just strengthens my testimony of this restored gospel. It is almost impossible to listen to President Monson and not feel the Spirit testify that he is a prophet of God. 

I got the call about transfers in between sessions on Sunday, and had the chance to say good-bye to everyone. It was very hard to say good-bye to many of the members. I have come to love this ward so much, and I am so grateful for the love and acceptance that they showed me over these past few months. I grew so much in Gravatá. I feel like a completely different person. (But in a good way. And don't worry. I still quote Star Wars and stuff so you'll still recognize me, mom). 

I think that's about it for now! I'm gonna try and send some photos now. Hope you are all safe and sound! I love you all and pray for you!

Love, Sister Hicken


[Editor's Note:  She wasn't able to send any pictures this week.  The internet connection was too slow.  Hopefully next week!]
 

No comments:

Post a Comment