Monday, April 14, 2014

Apparently I look like Avril Lavigne


April 14, 2014
Monday

Ola Familia!

Sister Rocha ROCKS!
It's funny because her name means rock in Portuguese. Haha I crack myself up. 

ANYWAYS

This week was fantastic! Sister Rocha is amazing, and we worked a ton this week. Our area is pretty big, but it's new, so we are working closer to home right now, and as time goes by we'll explore more areas further away from home. We live with Sisters Perez and Fuoco, all 3 from São Paulo. It's us four in one ward. The ward has a super tiny building, but the members are amazing. We had a member go on visits with us almost every day this week. It was like a dream come true! I love this area, and the members and the investigators. Also there are virtually no hills in this area, which I thank the heavens for every day. 

This week we taught several really awesome people. One of them was Joao, a 19-year-old kid who lost both his parents within months of each other. He has had such a hard life, but has tried to stay positive through it all and always act in a way that would make his parents proud. We invited him to be baptized and he accepted! We are so excited for him. He wasn't able to come to church this week, so his baptism will most likely be in 2 weeks. I'll keep you updated. 

We also had Edmilsom, a 50-year-old father who was taught by the missionaries years ago. He saw the sisters walking one day, and went and talked to them. We met with his daughter and wife and later he himself. He told us that he wants to be baptized! We are hoping to mark him and his daughter for baptism on the same day, and then later the mom. The mom injured her foot and can't walk for a while, so she'll take a little longer, but the whole family is fantastic. The parents are legally married, and have no problems with drinking or smoking, or anything! 

I also met Rose, the mom of a recent convert, Tony. She is fantastic. She knows she needs to be baptized, but has a smoking addiction. We're going to make goals with her this week to quit. 

We worked like crazy this week, and were disappointed when no one came to church, even the people whose houses we went to to walk with them.  But we did our best, and we know the Lord is seeing our efforts. Miracles happen according to our faith, obedience, and hard work. 

In other news, I had 2 more members tell me I look like Avril Lavigne, and one of them took a picture with me, haha. And for the first time this week someone thought I was Brazilian because of my Portuguese!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have no idea how thrilled I was. I try soooo hard to speak correctly, with correct grammar and pronunciation, and so that was kind of neat. 

I fell off my chair yesterday and landed on my finger. It hurt. 

Our house is huge, for missionaries anyways. I loooove it. 

Hope you all have a Happy Easter, and take time to remember the Savior and His sacrifice for you, personally.

Congratulations to Owen on his mission call!  ¡Hablas español!

I’m sending a picture now, but it's taking for ever and I have to go so it'll be the only one this week :( Sorry!!! Next time I’ll try loading pictures in the beginning. And I took pictures of all your questions and will answer every one. Also, how cool that you have a Recife visa waiter in your ward!!!!! Be sure to let me know when she leaves, so I can keep an eye out for her!!!!!!!!! :D

Love you oodles mom, and hope you guys have a Happy Easter! Eat some egg salad for me! 
Love you all and hope you have a wonderful week!

Love, Sister Hicken


Sister Rocha and on the right, Casper, a.k.a. White and Nerdy,  a.k.a. the Phantom of the Opera,  a.k.a. Sister Pilar de Luz. (Which Sister Rocha started calling me, by the way, WITHOUT me telling her that was my nickname in Gravatá. Hahaa....)

No comments:

Post a Comment