Monday, January 20, 2014

A Ride on the Knight Bus with Sister Strong


January 20, 2014
Monday
 

Hola Familia!!!!

Sounds like you are all doing well despite the snowy snowy weather! Happy Belated Birthday to Grandpa Hicken! I hope his ear is healing well. Sounds like he’s doing great for 100 years old :)

So last time I wrote I told you I would be training! We received our new companions on Wednesday! My companion is Sister Fortes (Sister Strong).  :)  She’s from Sao Paulo, is 19, and is awesome! She is so excited to be here, and trained super well in the CTM. And I found out she had my same instructor, Irmao Barros!!!! When she was in the CTM, the president’s wife told her that she felt strongly that Sister Fortes needed to learn English, so she began learning English in the CTM, and already speaks really well. We help each other a lot learning English and Portuguese. Our first day was crazy. We managed to navigate the bus systems (side note-the buses here are all driven by that crazy old guy from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban who drives the Knight Bus. So picture the Knight Bus. Now picture riding the Knight Bus standing up. Now picture riding the Knight Bus standing up, with 2 large suitcases. Now picture riding the Knight Bus standing up with two large suitcases with 50 people packed in like sardines for ONE HOUR. It was fun.) Long story short, we made it home, and got all her bank stuff set up and everything, and then went to teach our weekly English class with the other sisters. Oh Sister Rodrigues’ new companion is Sister Dana. She’s from Arizona and has 10 months on the mission. She has a beautiful voice, and we’ve been having fun singing harmony on a bunch of songs.

Thursday we had a district meeting, and the elders brought CARTAS E CAIXAS!!! I got a package from you guys!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!! It was the one you sent in December with socks and a stocking and make up and granola bars and peanut butter and brownies and lots of other goodies :) I was in dire need of socks so that was greatly appreciated.  I’ve also been enjoying the Mormon memes you send haha. In addition to the package I received a mountain of letters haha. I felt a little bad because about half the letters were for me, but it was because the whole ward had sent letters.  Let’s see there were 2 from Sister Donnelly, one from Gines, Mauchs, Sister Dallaire, the Walker girls, Sister Ward, Aunt Heather, Aunt Anna, Emma, Rachel, Mom and Dad, annnnndddd I think that’s it.  I hope I didn’t forget anyone. But I loved loved loved all your letters!!!! Tell everyone thank you so much from Sister Hicken!!!!!!!!!! It made my week!!!!!!

This week we worked, knocked on doors, and visited pesquisadores [investigators], normal stuff. Sister Fortes has no fear, is ready to work, and already teaches really well. We work really well together. Also she likes Star Wars.  But seriously, she’s incredible, and I’m so thankful for the chance I have to be her companion! She’s teaching me so much. I love my little Padawan!!!  Training is stressful, but I’m learning a lot.

We are hoping to have 2 baptisms this week! Vitoria and Rayza. We had marked this Sunday for their baptism, but there’s some meeting this Sunday, so we’re going to try for Saturday. Pray that everything works out for the baptism to happen this week!

We trained our ward missionaries yesterday, and it went really well.

Oh something I just remembered. This week at our district meeting our leader asked us to bring photos of our family. So I brought our family pictures from this summer.  They said you are so cute!  They commented on the color coordination, mom haha.  And I love you love you love you and miss you oodles.

I have to go now, but hugs and kisses from me! Until next week!

Love you,
Sister Hicken


Obi-Wan Kenobi and her new Padawan, Sister Fortes

No comments:

Post a Comment